Should the Frank And Walters do more covers?

28 Sep 2008 14:21

Should the band do more covers?

Material by the Frank And Walters is genius.

The song writing ability of the band is under appreciated.

But would a few more covers be interesting.

"Pop music"
"1000 ways" by Power of Dreams?
"The Bridge" Light A big Fire?

28 Sep 2008 16:46

I must admit I do like the odd cover version, good to put into a live set or release as a b-side. There have been some classic covers over the years:

Funky
I'm a believer
Love is in the air
Teenage Kicks
Pop Music
Turning Japanese!

I'm sure I've missed some.... but to be honest at the moment I guess we all can't wait to hear some of the new material!

28 Sep 2008 21:15

I must say that i do like covers.

wasnt ''Falling Out Of Love'', a cover. A mix of two songs together?

29 Sep 2008 07:46

It was a Julian Cope cover, they've also done The Smiths Cemetery Gates.

I like how they modify the songs to make them their own. Would I like to see more? Depends on what songs they do, everyone could lay a list of 30 songs they should cover but they wouldn't have the time or the inclination to do them. I'm haooy to leave it to their judgement to as and when they do it. I'd rather have more new material from them than more covers.

29 Sep 2008 15:37

Falling out of Love is indeed 2 songs in one. (Puerto Rico Way by The 6ths and Falling out of Love by The Magnetic Fields)
The verses are Puerto Rico Way and the chorus is Falling out of Love.

Can't find Puerto Rico Way but the link below leads to Falling out of Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_zKfSYC-zg

29 Sep 2008 19:59

they should do an oasis song.....that would be mega!

29 Sep 2008 21:32

Its "Elegant Chaos" thats the Julian Cope cover.
My personal favourite of the Franks efforts. Although I believe some of the words are wrong/changed slightly.

01 Oct 2008 18:47

They should do covers of Irish classics from the 80s:
Light A big Fire "CIA"
Auto Da Fe "All is Yellow"
Minor Detail "Canvas Of Life"
Fountainhead "Someone like you"

etc.

But then again If I could write songs like the Franks - originals are better.

04 Oct 2008 18:23

My son loves elegant chaos ... its that organ start up ..... do do do!!! do do do!!

DTM

06 Oct 2008 20:17

thanks for putting up the link of falling out of love.

didnt think much of the original version.

i would love to see a cover of something totally off the ball, like ''we built this city'' or something like that..

07 Oct 2008 16:24

I've always thought the franks would do a mean temptations cover

This would be really special
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=rQdSJXPDtjs

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=YNn361umypM
or
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ltRwmgYEUr8

07 Oct 2008 21:11

How about an 80s pop classic such as Rick Astley's S&W hit, "Never gonna give you up"? :laugh:

01 Nov 2008 02:40

Robbie Williams wrote:I must admit I do like the odd cover version, good to put into a live set or release as a b-side. There have been some classic covers over the years:

Funky
I'm a believer
Love is in the air
Teenage Kicks
Pop Music
Turning Japanese!

I'm sure I've missed some.... but to be honest at the moment I guess we all can't wait to hear some of the new material!

Don't forget Fußgängerzone's 'I Love My Frank & Walters Long Sleeve T-Shirt' - a classic cover!

SHould be released as a single!

19 Dec 2008 14:55

Maid of New Orleans by OMD could do with a franks version.

19 Dec 2008 22:36

thought of a really good one.

they should do a cover of sit down by a band called james!!

20 May 2009 14:14

Aslan are now doing a covers cd.

I would love to see the Franks doing a song by the Cure.

Re:

08 Mar 2013 00:28

Jish wrote:[color=#000000]Falling out of Love is indeed 2 songs in one. (Puerto Rico Way by The 6ths and Falling out of Love by The Magnetic Fields)
The verses are Puerto Rico Way and the chorus is Falling out of Love.

I think sometimes I have WAY too much music and I knew I knew this track but for some reason I couldn't quite place it, even though I love the song* ... ! :shock:

I should defend the Magnetic Fields / Stephin Merrit tho, the guy is a absolute genius and writes some of the best pop songs. Just get 69 Love Songs for the diversity! The 6ths is one of his off-shoots of MagF songs that he just wants other people to sing. I've still not got their first album on CD/MP3 (Wasps Nest), which is where Falling out of Love is taken from, and the original has Dean Wareham on! (sorry, that's probably far too much of a twee reference for you guys - he was Galaxie 500 - ;-) ). But they're all very wonderful.
It's always amazing the amount of people in the music biz who have such respect for Stephin's songs. When I went to see MagF at Shepherds Bush in Nov 2000 (which they sold out without even having had a massively selling album or single out!) they had Marc Almond, Sarah Cracknell and Neil Hannon all come and sing on stage with them (http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-magne ... ed4d5.html) and when they did the entire 69 Love Songs they had Peter Gabriel come on with them to do a song too!

Agree with the idea that the Franks could do with releasing an EP of covers, especially the ones that haven't been released yet! (last year's version of the Model for instance). I adore their Elegant Chaos though and Teenage Kicks!

(I find it amusing that I did a google search for 'Falling out of Love' but my search ended up bringing me here to find the answer to who did the original! :D )

*probably cuz I've only got it on tape at the moment.