GLASS- the teenage years...

GLASS- the teenage years...

22 Mar 2013 15:45

So Glass turns 13 this year...
I've been listening to it all this week in the car. First time in a while I've had it on the whole way through.
A fairly underrated album I think -I'm absolutely loving it.
The tunes are all there, same as all the other albums, just the instruments and production is very different.

Anyway, the campaign starts here to hear the album live in it's entirety in 2013.
Just like we got Grand Parade in the Spiegeltent a few years back and Trains, Boats and Planes last year.

Would love to see Ash with the cans on his head again like 13 years ago in the Savoy for the tour that went with Glass...

I've always loved this album but having not listened to it in a while makes it sound so fresh...

Re: GLASS- the teenage years...

22 Mar 2013 21:37

I'm going to dig this out and put it in the car tomorrow!

Here's the NME review from 2001 just a 6/10....

http://www.nme.com/reviews//3884

23 Mar 2013 16:19

Haven't read that review in a while.
Ancestors is a classic tune so if anything at least he spotted that.

23 Mar 2013 18:02

I LOVE Ancestors! It's a truly beautiful track and Glass does have some really wonderful songs on it. I can thank converting to digital music to thank for making me listen to certain albums a lot more than what I ever do when they're just on CD... But having worked my way thru the F&W back catalogue a lot over the last year you really begin to realise just how many *great* songs there are and it's easy for them to blend in and you not pay any attention as the albums merge together.

Not sure classing it as a 'teenager' will help tho: could argue that it will just sulk in the bedroom and refuse to come out! :lol:

Bit of a harsh review that though!

24 Mar 2013 04:47

I love Glass - ancestors, New York, talking about you, underground - all fantastic tunes.

New York is one of my all-time favorite tunes - just about perfect.

24 Mar 2013 20:04

This thread encouraged me to dig out my 'Glass' cd and I now can't get in the car without my seven-year old insisting we listen to Underground on top volume. Not that I'm complaining.

24 Mar 2013 21:53

Think I've said it on here before but this is probably my favourite franks album ... This or beauty !! Has so many memories for me this album ... Just great tunes and yeah ancestors ... Just beautiful !

25 Mar 2013 14:58

well over a week in the car with Glass now and still loving it...

you thought the last review was harsh, see this:
http://www.cluas.com/music/albums/frankwalters.htm

and a good review to balance the books:
http://www.musicomh.com/reviews/albums/ ... ters-glass

26 Mar 2013 01:58

WOW! :shock: No joke there then (re the bad review)

Funny thing is, I was thinking about this after posting the other day... this period, 1999-2001 was very much a revival in electronic pop. Think of Future Bible Heroes or The High Fidelity... there were a cpl of others that came to mind but I've forgotten them atm. I loved a band called Baxendale from London who were 'too indie to be pop and too pop to be indie' as the NME or MM called them who also epitomized this period too.

Interestingly enough too, the support band at BRMC tonight were very 80s indie, The Big Pink- cross between E&TBM and Glasvegas (yeah yeah know they're not v. 80s but you know what I mean...) with that guitar/electronica cross-over.